Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hallelujah!!

Hallelujah

At the top of my lungs I will sing hallelujah.

Heard this in a song today. I was then shouting "Hallelujah"

What does this mean?

Here is what my King James Concordance says about it: See Alleluia, so I did.

Here is what Alleluia says:
allegoreo, al-lay-loo'-ee-ah; of Hebrew origin[imper. of 1984 and 3050] ;praise ye Jah!, an adoring exclamation:-alleluiah.

So then I looked up the 1984"

halal, haw-lal'; a prim. root; to be clear (orig. of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence to make a show, to boast; and thus to be (clamoroulsy) foolish; to rave; causat. to celebrate; also to stultify: -(make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool (-ish, -ly), glory, give [light], be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, [sing, be worthy of] praise, rage, renowned, shine.

Whew...

then I looked up the 3050 word:

Yahh, yaw; contr. for 3068, and mean. the same; Jah, the sacred name: -Jah, the Lord, most vehement. Cp. names in "-iah", "-jah."

Looked up 3068:

Yehovah, yeh-ho-vaw; from ??? (cant read it) the self-Existent or Eternal; Jehvah (not sur on this word, it could have some letters missing), Jewish national name of God: --Jehovah, the Lord.

So I guess Hallelujah means "Praise God, Jehovah, but do it foolishly with all your being."

1 comment: